Skip to main content

Because Ukrainians look like us?

Stories and News No. 1260

They look like us, is this all our European longing for peace?
I don't even want to think about it.
But then I read and reflect.
I read about the CBS reporter who states that Ukraine "is not a country, with all due respect, like Iraq or Afghanistan, that has seen conflicts raging for decades. This is a relatively civilized, relatively European land, a country where you would not expect it, or would hope for it to happen. "
The former Deputy Attorney General of Ukraine, speaking of the invasion, who candidly declared to the BBC: "It is very emotional for me because I see European people with blue eyes and blond hair... being killed every day."
But not only that, a French journalist on French TV: “We are not talking about Syrians fleeing the bombings of the Putin-backed regime. We are talking about Europeans who leave with cars that look like ours to save their lives."
And the Telegraph reporter: “They look so similar to us. This is what makes it so shocking. Ukraine is a European country. These people watch Netflix and have Instagram accounts, vote in free elections and read uncensored newspapers. War is no longer something lived by poor and remote populations."
Is that so then? Are we all, politicians, media and sensitive citizens, able to welcome refugees only because they are close and similar?
I refuse to believe it.
But then I read, what can I do.
I read and think over.
I read that the so-called non-white citizens, including Africans, South Asians and Middle Easterners, who try to flee Ukraine like the white ones, are discriminated by both Polish and Ukrainian guards, being systematically moved to the back of the line to give precedence to those entitled by skin and ethnicity, or even attacked and robbed once they have crossed the border.
In other words, the Ukrainians first, which in general becomes the Whites first. Even in a situation like this. Or, perhaps, some might say especially in a situation like this.
So is it really true?
Does our humanity turn on for alternate occasions and modalities solely due to the mirror effect? That is, I see myself, I recognize myself and then, only then, I sympathize? But how precise must this reflection should be? Because we are all human beings, at the end of the war or the peace, rather than the day.
Does this mean that we have actually become literally capable of feeling real empathy only for ourselves?
No, I don't accept it.
Can not be that.
But then I read.
I read and ask myself questions.
I read about the dangers of “russiaphobia”. But noting which parliamentary side the thunderous complaints arise from at this moment, I cannot help but observe how paradoxical and grotesque the discussion of these times is.
Yes, because those who are now raised up by the madness and ignorance of russiaphobic behavior, are the same – not only them, let's say a large part of my fellow citizens, who are daily devoted, even now, to demonizing people fleeing dictatorial regimes and wars very similar to the Ukrainian conflict.
Is that because they are not familiar enough? Because we can't we see us in them?
The color of the skin does not matter, right?
No, please, I can't even write any more.
How I wish I hadn't read anything today...

Subscribe to Newsletter