Skip to main content

Cryogenically frozen girl letter

Stories and News No. 932

In the UK, a 14 years old died of cancer girl has won the right to be cryogenically frozen. The court decided to back the mother to get her to hibernate in the United States. Known only as JS, the teenager had written a letter to the court: “I have been asked to explain why I want this unusual thing done. I’m only 14 years old and I don’t want to die, but I know I am going to. I think being cryo‐preserved gives me a chance to be cured and woken up, even in hundreds of years’ time. I don’t want to be buried underground. I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they might find a cure for my cancer and wake me up. I want to have this chance. This is my wish.”

Dear JS,
Wake up, do it now, please.
Wake up and wake me too.
We did it, tell me so.
Tell me that cancer was defeated.
And that all tumors that eat flesh and breath in there, hidden, were finally discovered, unearthed in

their enormous and innate horror.
Clusters of dead cells, of course, but also easy loneliness disguised as alleged difficulties with strangers and pure hatred masked as protection of ignored rights, empty visions and mad delusions confused for heartfelt speeches, vulgar gestures in the form of venial oversights and, above all, unpardonable indifference concealed as common sense.
My sweet JS, wake up, come on.
Wake up and wake up all of us, because the future you've always dreamed of is now.
Let’s rejoice together.
Since all frozen fragility and humanity with your tender body have survived.
With them the hope to live quiet, before long.
The desire not to suffer in vain, before the absolute absence of pain.
The right to preserve dignity, even before life itself.
Then let’s show our precious luggage to the defective creatures of imagination and perseverance.
Do you see, now, we were right?
Can you see, now, what we fought for and most often missed?
JS, my friend of present and yesterday, smile.
Because tomorrow is today.
But in spite of what poets and dreamers like me write, don’t wake up at all.
Continue to remain so, in the shelter of the History bite.
Prolong indefinitely your desire for a world led by wise captains toward virtuous horizons.
Where healing all evil is the common walking.
Where your awakening is just one of the many secrets to protect.
Brave JS, please.
Surprise me, do it now, not the day to come.
Show us, like you did before saying goodbye, you were right and we were wrong.
That we are destined.
To preserve life.
And hopes…


Read more stories about life
Buy my latest book Elisa and the wonderful world of objects
Listen my song Wolves
Watch my last storytelling show with English subtitles Walking with the shadow
 Storytelling videos with subtitles