Skip to main content

Mining waste at sea: Norway and Turkey different and equal

Stories and News No. 904

Last week, in a major summit in Hawaii, only two countries were the ones among 53 to vote against the international ban on the dumping of mining waste into the sea.
Turkey and Norway...


We talked about.

The other day.
Come on, the other day, remember?
We talked about of people.
Without generalizing, of course, but people are so.
Do you see, right?
Of course.
People are so, they are all different, but also equal for other things, that’s clear.
No easy clichés, you cannot merge everybody, come on.
Get the Turks.
Those Turks, that some aspire to see part of the old, civil Europe.
The Turks, without being accused of indifference, are Turks, just that.
I would not speak, once again, about religion, don’t worry.
About State machismo, that we, I repeat, we have eradicated long ago and you know it.
Or the lack of democracy, which – and you know that too, is for us a showpiece to be proud of anywhere.
However, take a typical Turkish and tell me.
Don’t be shy and tell me.
Tell me that you too are imagining a dark, short guy, heavy-browed, equally bushy and extremely prickly bearded, no less lush hair, all synthesized by a single adjective.
Dark.
Now pose the Turkish and consider, for example, a Norwegian.
Wow, I will not be here, without any originality, to tell you that
it is always raining in his country.
Gosh, I will not repeat that the hotels and restaurants are expensive as hell.
And, trust me, I will not dwell on the coldness and the closure of the inhabitants.
Think about the classic Norwegian, though, and I challenge you to deny.
Come on, I dare you.
I dare you to deny that you have figured a blond, tall guy, heavy-browed, equally bushy and extremely prickly bearded, no less lush hair, all synthesized by a single adjective.
Blond.
Because we talked about, you know?
Just the other day.
Come on, that day, you were not there too?
We talked of people.
Without generalizing, I agree, but people are these.
True, isn’t it?
Of course.
People are these, they are all different, but also equal for other things, it is fair enough.
For example, different for useless futilities that so much weigh on our judgments, like the color of the hair.
And the equal, unexpectedly equal, ruining the world we live in…



Read more stories about environment
Buy my latest book The hoax of the migrants Listen my song Wolves
Storytelling videos with subtitles