Skip to main content

Eritrean refugee mistakenly arrested: the wrong man

Stories and News No. 886

The Italian and British police are facing at this time allegations to have confused a known smuggler of migrants, Medhane Yehdego Mered, with an innocent refugee, Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe, who was arrested in Sudan.
If he was the wrong man...

Sorry about that, okay?
You are all equal, to us.
I had also said that maybe you was not the man, really.
"Are we sure?" That’s what I said, please, Your Honor, note it in the acts.
Oops... there's no judge?
We can do as we please?
As You wish.
Indeed, as we do.
Anyway, it's easy to say innocent.
Indeed, it is quite the opposite, we get virtually nothing to say guilty.
As to forget you.
The innocent.
Anyway, it's easy to discover the skeletons in the closet.
What?
I understand, you don’t have any closet.
But the skeletons...
No, I'm not referring to your kids, extremely emaciated, which you try to pity us with.
I refer to your misdeeds.
Don’t tell me you have a clear conscience, come on.
Otherwise, why do you run away from your home country?
Otherwise, why did you come to us?
Ok, stay calm, I am aware you didn’t come on your feet.
But you are here, now, it doesn’t count how.
You see, it's not a personal matter, because here both things don’t imply anything good.
If you run away and come to us, it means that you stole something.
Or, once arrived, you will steal something.
And if you come to us, it means that you saw us better than what we really are.
Even better than you.
This, believe me, does not bode well at all in your favor.
Anyway, maybe you're the wrong man.
But that ‘maybe’ stands for just one sense: you are not the other.
At the same time, you are surely wrong for a multitude of other reasons.
You had got the wrong species, convinced you had found the human beings.
You were wrong to be born, don’t tell me you've never thought of.
You had got the wrong color, don’t tell me you have never heard that.
You also had the wrong name in the wrong time and world.
Do you understand, now?
It is not our fault.
If, whatever you may say or do.
You will always be.
The wrong man...

Read more stories about racism
Buy my latest book The hoax of the migrants
Listen my song Wolves 
Storytelling videos with subtitles




More on Stories and News: