Skip to main content

Interracial children's story video for kids

Stories and News No. 655



Please, may I have your attention?
I will tell you a story, the story of a mask.
I present myself: my name is Sunset. Yes, that magic between day and night moment, that fascinating and uncertain, full of mystery instant...
I was born in that time. My parents in front of a wonderful sunset conceived me too.
My father was Darkness and my mother Light and although they were different like day and night, although sunset was the only possible moment to meet each other, they had no problem to marry, live and love just in that unique and beautiful time.
However I would not tell you about my special parents. I would speak about me, if you will be so nice to listen my story.
Since I was a baby first difficulties came up when I saw that my mother Light had, and still has, a right for her world, where everything is clear: the day world, the lightness of things world.
The world where white and lucid skin's, delicate face's and thin lips' people live.
I call them "The day creatures".
This was the world which my parents offered me.
But inside that world, thanks to the night, my father Darkness has got his natural place too: the unknown and mysterious things reign. The people with dark skin's reign.
People that I call "The night creatures".
But what about Sunset? Where is my place? When does my time will come? Believe me, it's not easy to be born right in the middle.
Pale day creatures, since my life beginning, talk to me like this:
"You weren't born in this country. Where do you really come from? You speak like us, but there is something strange in you...
"It's a long time that you live here, with us? How is your country?"
My country! Which is? I don't want countries! The entire world or nothing...
The particular fact is that meeting brown night creatures was not a so different experience.
"Hi, brother! Yes, you're quite black... but, where do you come from? You don't talk like us. This is a very serious thing. And then, there is something too white in you..."
Too dark for whites and too clear for blacks.
Sometimes it could be a problem, but, when I am here, writing about my dreams, oh, I know that there are a lot of people walking on this rope, more than I can hope...

Storytelling from Sunset (1998) by Alessandro Ghebreigziabiher. Some of the story was published as children book by Lapis Editions in 2002 (Rights expired) and in 2003 was selected by the International Youth Library (IYL), in Munich, Germany, for the White Ravens, a mention for books from around the world that they consider to be especially noteworthy.



Also on Stories and News: